A blog about my adventures as an athlete, adventures with athletes and just adventures!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Biggest Challenge Yet!



As most people who know me, know that I'm always up for a challenge, whether it be research/education/school, opening a clinic, a difficult patient case, a race of various adventure types and distances; sign me up, I LOVE it.
The "not-so-impressed" look

I have embarked on yet a new challenge for 2014: motherhood. My beautiful Baby Boy was born on December 11, 2013.  Weighing in at 8 lbs, 8 oz he won my heart instantly! A real cutie he is but of course I am totally and completely biased! 

Now I know a million other women have done this, and I am not alone in this journey. People said it wouldn't be easy and cripes, it's most certainly not. It may, in fact, be the hardest challenge that I have ever embarked on. 



A colleague of mine just posted a blog containing characteristics of what he believes to be hard work, here is his list: http://www.jeffcubos.com/2014/01/02/get-dirty/

  • Sweat
  • Sacrifice
  • Fatigue
  • Pain
  • Resilience
  • Patience
  • Perseverance
  • Persistence
  • Tears
  • Frustration


And his personal favourite: Get Dirty
Each and every one of these  of these certainly apply to my current situation. More than I ever would have imagined! 

There's no "taking a walk break" or resting or tapering. You are full on all the time! You have to be available 24/7. There's no set schedule, no solid routine (at least in the first few weeks), no real "right" answers.  No advice could have prepared me for what lie ahead!  
The learning curve is one of the steepest I have ever incurred, I have never relied on the help of my friends, family and other resources the way I am right now.


Sleeping Beauty
That being said, the biggest challenges also have the biggest rewards, and that also is certainly true in this case! To see this perfect little human being grow and be nurtured from me is really an amazing feeling. To feel that needed and loved is also quite rewarding and makes all the characteristics above seem so much less significant.
"Getting Dirty"- also leads to the most fun adventures and provides us with the ability to laugh, at ourselves primarily, my husband and I have found out! 

Two quotes that reflect my experience thus far: 
Life is change, Growth is optional. Choose wisely. - unknown
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you. -unknown. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! So proud of you! It just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it does get easier! He's beautiful Jenn - Trina

    ReplyDelete