A blog about my adventures as an athlete, adventures with athletes and just adventures!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Quest to Stay Fit During a World Cup.... in Cali Colombia



For the 3rd year in a row, I am in Cali, Colombia for a World Cup Event with the Canadian Track Cycling Team. A little blown-out on Cali, it's not very safe, there usually ends up that SOMEONE gets sick and I hate the bugs that eat you alive at the track! But I consider myself lucky to be able to travel with the National Cycling Team and "live the dream!"

The other downer is that I can't really "get out" and train at all due to the potential danger that lurks in the city. Two years ago, the team from Russia was riding their bikes to the track, when they were held up at knife point and had their bikes all stolen! Lucky they were all safe, but it's not a good situation! There is no gym in the hotel we are at, no pool and no fancy fitness facilities...leaves us a little stuck for any training.

This year I am going to approach this trip with a fresh outlook! Along on this trip is performance analyst Michelle Wyngarden who is big into cross fit and is completely fit herself. Olympian turned coach, Tanya Dubnicoff is always up for some exercise. I thought it would be fun to blog about the "fitness" aspect of Cali. Depending on the training/racing/treatment schedule, I find I HAVE to squeeze in some exercise myself. C'mon, I am surrounded by some of the fittest people in the world- imagine the guilt! So follow me over the next few days to see what We can dream up for staying fit during this tenure in Colombia!

No comments:

Post a Comment